Gibbons Middle School Presents: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, a Skyrise Theater Play

Spencer Garrison, Editor, Writer, Reporter

On Friday, April 8th, 2022, the Gibbons Theater Team presented their interpretation of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory to a conglomerate of students and parents. On the scene was reporter, Spencer Garrison, also known as me. I watched the entire production in a rapture, and after watching, I must say, the play was great. 

The play consisted of two acts, each featuring a healthy amount of songs. Gerhard Doering, student legend, played the titular character, Willy Wonka, with Danica Beaver playing the beloved Charlie Bucket. Every character in the 18 member cast was given a musical number, with people playing minor roles harmonizing with the main cast. The play aired twice, once on Friday, and once on Saturday. Gary’s (Gerhard’s) singing was top notch and helped to tie the whole play together. I was astounded by the quality of the production, despite only being a Middle School musical. I felt that many times the quality was on par with some professional productions. Other than the play itself, the entry fee was low, and there was an intermission at the middle section of the play where we were allotted to buy ourselves food and drink. Those are my closing thoughts on Willy Wonka by Skyrise Theater.

I would 100% recommend that any Gibbons student of sound body and mind check out this amazing arrangement of whimsical characters, covers (of songs), and craft. Next time the opportunity rolls around, buy yourself a ticket, get yourself a seat. You’ll probably enjoy it.