The Penny Wars 2022

Money Jar filled with US currency: coins and paper money.  Savings or donations concept. Blue window background.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Money Jar filled with US currency: coins and paper money. Savings or donations concept. Blue window background.

Alana McCarthy, Writer

What it is:

The Penny Wars is a school wide fundraising event where classes compete against one another. Originally the competition was between teams, but this year it was each teacher on their own. Though the overall goal of the penny wars is to raise money for an organization, it cannot be denied that the competitive edge of the fundraiser is primarily what drives students to donate. 

How it works:

Each teacher in the building has a jar where coins and dollar bills can be deposited. There are two winners of the Penny Wars:  the teacher with the most money in their jar overall, and the teacher with the highest value in their jar. Coins add a positive value to a jar, but bills add a negative value. That being the case, in addition to plunking some coins into the jar of the teacher you want to win, there is an opportunity to sabotage other teachers by putting dollar bills in their jar. This year, the two winners of the Penny Wars were Mr. Paulhus with the most money overall, and Mr. Hanson with the jar of the highest value! Great job to Mr. Paulhus and Mr. Hanson, and thank you to all the students who donated!

The total:

This year, our school raised…….drumroll please……. $130!!! The money raised in this year’s Penny Wars will go to the red cross, to help provide necessities such as clothes, food, and books to Ukrainian children displaced by the war.